The Danville Historical Society is a non-profit educational institution whose mission is to promote an understanding of the history of Danville, VT, by collecting, preserving, exhibiting and interpreting that history and its relationship to the region and nation beyond to audiences of all ages and interests.
It’s All About Community
Danville has always been a strong and industrious community. In 1796 it was the county seat of Caledonia County and hosted the 1805 Vermont legislative session. It had its own weekly newspaper, the North Star and is the birthplace of one of our country’s most noted statesman—Thaddeus Stevens. One Vermont governor came from Danville.
But the real heroes of Danville are its citizens, living day in and day out, working the land, building its farms, houses, businesses, churches, library and schools. Working and living together, the people have woven a culture that is thoughtful and caring. It is this culture that the Danville Historical Society strives to sustain. We do this by seeking and collecting artifacts and records of events as well as the stories of men and women in our past. By doing this, we honor the work and lives of those who have gone before us. In honoring the past, we so honor the present, and hopefully this will help carry the culture forward.
In 1961, a group of like-minded people got together to form the Danville Historical Society. The legal organization was necessary to conserve the Old North Church in North Danville. No longer used by the church that owned it, the beautiful old meeting-house had begun to deteriorate. Thus, the Danville Historical Society was officially formed and the building transferred into hands that would keep its integrity intact. The society then began in earnest to gather and keep detailed records of the town’s history. Until recently, these records and artifacts had no home and were stored wherever space was available and granted. In 2007, a generous benefactor came forward to give a permanent home, which now serves as our center of activity. The Choate-Sias House officially opened for business in 2009.